Thursday, March 6, 2008

Featured employee of the month




Ed Grace, President of Grace Prosthetic Fabrication, Inc, is our featured employee this month. In his own words, this is how it all started…..

I got into this field by accident, kind of like most people that get into O. & P. I was working as an orthopedic operating room technician in Huntington, WV, where I got to know George Parsley and Steve Hart. They were two local CPO's in the area, and they came to the O.R. regularly for Halo installations, cast bracing, and temporary immediate post surgical prosthetic fittings. I became very interested in the field, so George and Steve invited me to visit the facility. I did...and began working at Parmeco Inc. in November 1979. There I learned to fabricate prosthetics, as well as fitting and alignment. After 2 years of training, I basically took over the prosthetics at Parmeco, doing all the measuring, fitting, and fabrication, in addition to hospital calls and attending various clinics. I continued working at Parmeco for another 5 1/2 years. In 1986, I moved from WV to Orlando, FL. and worked at DOBI-Sympex in the prosthetic department and eventually became the supervisor. There I learned how central fabrication worked and how to keep the production flow going. I worked for DOBI for 2 years. After that I spent a short time as partners in another central fab. In March, 1990, along with my dad, (who had retired from the Ford Motor Company and was living in New Port Richey), opened Grace Prosthetic Fabrication, Inc. The rest is history!!!

No comments: